he's late.

he's late.
he's always late.

waiting for half a century
for him to come find me
hide and seek in a gloomy world
hiding until I stumbled upon a girl

grunge goth, hair a wild mess
the eye of ra drawn by eyeliner
on her right eye;
she greeted me with a smile.

she asked me what I was doing
was I coming, or going
I said neither; I was waiting
all the while she was smiling

she asked me to sit with her then
as she took out a sketch pad and a pen
and started drawing the swallows
nesting in the building hollows

who are you waiting for, she asked
a stranger who's s'pposed to be a friend, 
I answered back, rather shyly 
she giggled; was I that funny? 

we talked about life and un-life
from dusk until early morning light
then she stood up and offered a hand, 
It's time t go, Ann. 

it was then that I realized
Death was not a man. 
I've been waiting for a girl with an ankh
on her neck. it took me by surprise. 

she's never late. 
she comes on time. always.
only the time is not of our choosing



Comments

Popular Posts